Training Seminar 2015
Focused on Water, Energy/Resources and Biodiversity
- Lectures by and discussions with experts of ESD
- Visits to the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld and to best-practice schools in the field of ESD
- Information exchange with teachers and visit to lessons
- Sustainable development in schools and in class: practical workshops with teachers from German schools
- Planning, creation and presentation of a project idea by the participants
- Excursion to Brussels: Visit to the European Commission and the European Parliament with presentations and discussions concerning global dimensions of political and economic sustainability
- The program was rounded out with varied outings in the area.
Dr. Hannes Petrischak
An interdisciplinary approach to sustainable development, followed by a discussion of similarities and differences between Germany and the USA concerning the topic of Sustainability.
Dr. Hannes Petrischak is the managing director at Forum für Verantwortung (Forum for Responsibility), an organization that leads projects in the field of sustainable development. He studied Biology at the University of Kiel, and studied Environment and Education at the University of Rostock. Dr. Petrischak is an experienced lecturer and a well published scholar.
Prof. Dr. Klaus Helling
Sustainable use of Resources on the Campus and Information about the Possible Courses of Study in the Context of Sustainability
Prof. Dr. Klaus Helling is a professor of Business Economics at the Trier University of Applied Sciences at the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld, and the Dean in the department of Environmental Economics and Law. He is also a founding member and Director at the Institute for Applied Material Flow Management. Prof. Dr. Klaus Helling is well published in the field of Sustainability and Environment, and leads research projects that foster the optimization of sustainable material flow.
Prof. Dr. Petra Döll
Water – the blue Gold
A deep dive into the topic of water management, efficient water cycles, and virtual water.
Since 2003 Prof. Dr. Petra Döll is Professor of Hydrology at the Goethe University in Frankfurt. She studied Geology at the University of Erlangen and at the University of Colorado, Boulder. After her studies she worked at the Center for Environmental Systems Research at the University of Kassel. Her research focuses on water resources, water availability, and global water use.
Culture of Sustainability
Linguistic and cultural aspects of sustainability in Germany and the USA, followed by discussion.
Ulrich Grober is a German journalist and author. He studied German and English literature and language at the University of Frankfurt and the University of Bochum. In 2010 he published “Die Entdeckung der Nachhaltigkeit” (The Discovery of Sustainability), and received the Brandenburgischer Literaturpreis Umwelt (Brandenburg Literary Prize for Environmental Publications).
At the first training seminar teacher tandems from 9 different states participated: Massachusetts, Ohio, Texas, Washington State, California, North Dakota, Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan.